We Catch Scarlet (Hair) Fever! | yohana

Michaeljohn SalonRed has definitely been the hottest hair color of 2011—and it doesn't look like the fiery hue will be losing steam any time soon. From Khloe Kardashian Odom to, most recently, Demi Lovato, stars have had me green with envy over their bold tresses transformations, however brief they may have been. So, now that fall is here, I figured it was the perfect time to kiss thesunkissed ombré locks I got over the summer goodbye and say "hello" to red.
For my big change, I turned to hairstylist Justin Surh, an expert in customized color who works out of Michaeljohn salon in Beverly Hills. Luckily for me, Surh was on board with my ginger train. It just so happens that he recommends light reddish highlights for natural brunettes like myself. Since I wanted to go full-on red, he chose a dark mahagony dye, which would, as he pointed out, be a lot lighter (read: noticeable) on parts of my hair where I had traces of blond from the ombré.
I thought my hair color turned out phenomenal. It's so rich and warm, which is exactly the direction you want to go in with regard to your hair this time of the year. As you can see, my new hue appears dark (right) indoors, but much more pronounced when seen in natural light (above).
Considering undergoing a color change this season? Surh suggests carmel or honey highlights for blondes; golden brown highlights for women with jet-black hair; and black lowlights or lighter red highlights for redheads.
As far as product, I really like Original Mineral's Maintain the Mane shampoo ($28.95), which is a mild cleanser that nourishes and revitalizes colored hair, and the complementary conditioner ($28.95). Both have a UV inhibitor to gently shield locks. My newly red 'do feels incredibly weightless and shiny after using them.
By the way, Surh cautions against shampooing and conditioning every day. "In wintertime, the air is dry. It's better to wash the hair every other day or twice a week to keep it moisturized." As for treatments, he likes hair masques byKMS ($14.95 $11.90), for the low-end, and Keratin Complex ($112 $95), for the high-end. But olive oil works just as well. After washing and towel drying the hair, apply olive oil through your hair and sleep in it. "You will see a difference in the shine of your hair," raves Surh
Of course, when you switch up your hair color, it's also a good idea for your makeup palette to follow suit. For that, we consulted withKaren Scott (below) of Karen Scott Cosmetics studio at SalonRepublic in Beverly Hills.
She loves coppers, bronze, and greens to go with my red hair. For those with a black coif, she says lavenders, purples and mauves will provide a nice, feminine softening effect. "Sometimes, I get funky with blues or greens," confessed the dark-haired beauty maven. If you're blonde, go with earth tones. "However, you can do a lot of different colors with blondes," she said. And for brunettes, play with peaches and corals to turn on the glow.
fashionsandmode.blogspot.com

Post a Comment