Celeb Manicurist Kandi Banks | yohana

Kandi, Demi Lovato, Nicki Minaj, Nails
Nail art has been all the rage lately, but smiley faces and ombré hues? So last year. Intricate designs and 3-D talons are ringing in 2012. To achieve the fun look, celebs are turning to Long Beach, Calif.-based manicurist Kandi Banks (top left). We were floored by the nail artist's work on stars like Demi Lovato and Nicki Minaj (she's only been at it for a year!), so we had to get the scoop on her detailed designs—plus some at-home maintenance tips!
DON'T BE SQUARE: I like the pointed look best. It's easier to come up with the unthinkable when I'm dealing with that shape. Hello Kitty looks better on square nails, though.
TREND SPOTTING: Object and food nails are definitely in my trend forecast. Pink is always hot with my clients, but they don't really follow the season's colors. I do not like the new duck nails that Snooki can be seen wearing. There's too much going on, which I know sounds funny coming from someone who puts pizza slices on her nails!
CELEB DREAMS: Leopard print and ice cream cones are my signature designs. I actually had them on my nails when I did Nicki and Demi's nails, and it just so happened that they both wanted the same one from my hand. I definitely didn't do it on purpose! Out of all the celebs I've worked with, I'd sayDemi is the most daring. Nicki actually likes her nails simple, with pastel colors. The celebrity I'm praying to work with is Rihanna. She's the inspiration for a lot of my work, like pointed nails.
DARING DESIGNS: Lately I've been playing around with shapes. I created a champagne glass-shaped nail for New Year's, and I made a pizza on myself. I'm [trying to] make object shaped nails the new trend! I never get sick of doing multi-colored leopard designs. I've done a 3-D tooth with a gold filling and a cigarette, but the weirdest things I've been asked to do were a pair of 3-D breasts and a bacon-wrapped hot dog.
fashionsandmode.blogspot.com

Post a Comment