Dip-Dye Delight | yohana

Dip Dye Before and AfterAs soon as Lauren Conrad debuted mutli-colored tips, stars like Glam Fairy's Briella Calafiore fell under the dip-dye spell. I swooned too. Back in high school, I was a Manic Panic addict (sorry, Mom!)! In the last four months alone, I've been a blonde, redhead and brunette. Clearly, I'm game to switch up my 'do. Luckily, I didn't have to go to Hot Topic to get Crayola-inspired strands (well, this time).
To keep me safe from myself, I turned to the experts at Cal Martini Color Group in Beverly Hills. Even for color pros like Cal and his team, I was an interesting challenge—my ends are damaged from all those months of bleach and dye, plus my roots didn't take the last time I used box color. Light roots, dark ends and shiny red undertones? Not cute or easy to fix.
But the salon's dip-dye pro, Christine McConnell, came to my rescue. First, she mixed together a rich brunette hue to darken my roots and correct my tri-colored mane. Then, stylist Kate Pierovich jumped in to help, and the two applied Christine's unique "teasing" technique. They took two-inch wide strands of hair and pushed the top layers up into knots. Only the longest pieces are left out to bleach, allowing for the best gradual gradation.
Christine watched the foils carefully to make sure she could lift my hair without damaging it, and after about 50 minutes, it was successfully (and safely!) bleached. Time to pick a color! While many opt for pink, a pretty choice on brunettes and blondes, Christine loves the challenge of blue hair because it's surprising and looks striking against a bright sky. She also said it would make my eyes pop, and who am I to question the experts?
My hair was dark to begin with, so the whole process took about three-and-a-half hours. Lighter brunettes can be done in two, and lucky blondes just 45 minutes. The time in the chair was worth it, especially because of the salon's relaxed environment. There were no egos, and I felt very comfortable with the stylists. The Hershey's Dark Chocolate Kisses in a martini glass? Added bonus. In the end, I had mermaid-like ocean-hued locks.
My day wouldn't have been complete without a makeover to fit my new hue. Makeup artist Denice Tousche lined the lower rims of my eyes with marine blue shadow and layered a shimmery white powder on my lids. She finished off the look with pale pink lips. While it's important to keep the colors complementary—orange looks great with blue hair and green shines against purple 'dos—Denice admitted that the more fun you have, the better!
Want to try dip-dye? Gradations of brown and blonde are a great way to ease into the look. Ombré tips like mine provide a pop of color in long layers. Then there's the extreme "runway" route, a stark contrast between the natural hair color and a sharp line of bold color.
Since dip-dye is versatile, all of the looks are achieveable and rely more on your comfort level than a particular hair type. While the super curly should steer clear, it works well with on wavy or straight hair of any length. Christine recommends washing hair just twice a week to keep the color vibrant and your scalp healthy. The hues last about a month, so if you're in need of a recharge, the salon can send you home with a small bottle or you can opt for a new glaze (about $55 per visit).
fashionsandmode.blogspot.com

Post a Comment