Does Your Outfit Affect How You Perform at Work? | Hollywood yohana

The Amandas Cast

I do not consider myself a fashion expert. In fact, I wear dresses because I don't have confidence in putting outfits together. I love a dress. It's simple, comfortable and I feel good in them. The same goes for heels. I don't like flats, nor do they make my feet feel good. I don't wear 6-inch heels every day. They are more like 3-4-inch heels. Don't get me wrong, I do have 6-inch heels and I love them, but I definitely don't wear them daily.
I can tell you, whether you like it or not, your appearance matters. People judge others based on how they look.
I recently did a call-in radio show where a woman told me her family is poor and her son desperately needed a job. She made sure that he went for his interview at a fast food restaurant with a shirt, tie, dress pants and a dress coat. Her son was complaining that his appearance was overkill for such a job. Wanting to appease his mother, he went to the interview all dressed up. He came home thrilled to tell his mom that he got the job! He told his mom that after interviewing tons of candidates for one open job, the manager puled him aside and said he was giving him the job because of the way he was dressed. He told the boy that he had a good interview, but the way he was dressed showed that he had self-respect and took pride in his appearance. That gave the boy the edge.
I didn't take Havilah shopping because I thought she was a bad dresser. I mean, we don't share the same taste in fashion, but that's neither here nor there. I took Havilah shopping because she had been rude, disrespectful and the girls were all complaining the she wasn't carrying her weight on projects. I could see all of this and I thought that by spending the day with her, I could find a way to connect with her and help her become a part of the group and a better organizer.
Even though people believe I am a tough boss, and I am, when I hire someone, I become emotionally invested. I could have just said, Hey, this isn't the place for you and I have to let you go. But that's not me. I want to make sure I have given you every chance to succeed.
Havilah complained a lot about how I spoke to her. The weird thing is that I'm never speaking to people with ill intent or trying to hurt someone. I get hyper-focused and OCD on projects and am very straightforward and serious. None of the other people I work with felt that I was rude. Was I being harder on Havilah than others? The answer is yes. She wasn't working as hard as the other girls. She wasn't being respectful of me, her boss. She would roll her eyes, have a rude tone to comments, not do what she was supposed to, etc. I don't overlook those things and I will quickly call you out and push you harder to be better than that.
When I took Havilah out that day, I have to say, she was a bit combative. She was very defensive and the conversation was not going well. Then, we started talking about the history of my business. I told her about how little she really knew about me. I told her that this job wasn't a prison and that if she didn't like it here, she could leave at any time. We talked about how I love my employees and we are family. I have gone out of my way to take care of my employees, and they do the same for me. That's why they have been with me for so long.
The reason Havilah was so frustrated and the reason she and I were butting heads is because she wasn't doing her best and she was getting called out on it, and that didn't sit well with her. Sometimes, you get caught in a back and forth and you can't get out of it, and you have to do something to break the cycle and start fresh. I honestly thought this would be that fresh start for Havilah and the rest of us.
After we spoke at lunch, things started to feel lighter and we started to talk and enjoy the day. She seemed like she was letting her defenses down for the first time and actually have a good time. The question now is, will that last? Will Havilah start to create relationships with her coworkers? Will all the fighting and bickering going on between her and the girls stop? You'll have to wait and see!

fashionsandmode.blogspot.com

Post a Comment