David Meister | yohana

Emmanuelle Chriqui, David Meister
SUPPORTING THE CAUSE: I have been involved with Susan G. Komen for the Cure as one of the Pink Tie Guys for over a year and a half. I have a very good friend who had breast cancer and is a survivor. My mom has had several friends who've had it. Breast cancer is a disease that doesn't just affect women. I feel close to it.
PINK CARPET MAGIC: This is the first time the Los Angeles branch has done a big Designs for the Cure Gala. It will be a great night. We are going to raise awareness. We are going to raise funds. We're bringing the world of design, cancer survivors and celebrities together. I will dress five or six survivors in signature gowns from my fall and holiday collections that I did forBergdorf. Guests can bid on those gowns that night.
FASHION THERAPY: It's about you feeling good. I know people who have lost their hair, but they don't want to wear a wig. So, put on your makeup and great jewelry and go bald! If people are not comfortable with that, that's their problem. You're the one fighting the disease. Some people love to dress up and that makes them feel good. In that case, I say dress up and knock their socks off!
ON HIS GREATEST ACCOMPLISHMENT: Still having a strong business 13 years later! Fashion is not an easy business, especially with the economy being the way it is. We're really having the best year we have ever had.
DESIGN APPROACH: I don't design for a specific woman. I try to think in terms of dresses that will look great on a lot of women. It's about designs that have a sense of classicness and timelessness to it. You can pull out one of my dresses from the closet in three or four years and it still looks beautiful. That's what I always try to achieve.
HAUTE HOLIDAYS: We're seeing a lot of metallics, a lot of sequins and shine. Some people are very glitzy and others are more matte. There are different levels of what women are comfortable in. I always tell women to take something that they think they can't wear or won't look good in into a dressing room. A lot of the times, these women tend to put themselves in a box. They think they only look good in certain styles and colors. Sometimes, that's true. But other times, women just limit themselves too much. By trying something different, I always say, "Worst case scenario is it'll look horrible and you're going to have a good laugh, but you're in a dressing room by yourself. Best case scenario is you love it and realize that it can work, and you're able to expand your box a little."
EMMYS EXTRAVAGANZA: I've always been a fan of Jane Lynch. She's just the nicest, most down-to-earth, easiest person to collaborate with. She was open to almost anything. She kept changing, but I personally loved the simpleaubergine chiffon gown she wore on the red carpet, because it was a little softer and unexpected.
DREAM CELEBRITY CLIENT: I'm dying to dress Angelina Jolie! She wears black a lot and every once and awhile she throws in something that's off—and I think that's when she really has that "wow" moment. I would put her in a bright green or bright orange dress. It's all about simple shapes and strong color. That's all she needs.
To purchase a ticket for the Designs for the Cure Gala, click here. In addition to hosting the event, David Meister will donate a percentage of the sales from his website to Susan G. Komen for the Cure in the month of October!
fashionsandmode.blogspot.com

Post a Comment