Wicked Fit's Katie Boyd Opens Up | yohana

Wicked Fit, Katie Boyd
The brash boss of Katie Boyd's Miss Fit Club is a former beauty queen and the star of the Style Network's new show Wicked Fit. The Massachusetts native proves not all pageant girls are prim and proper—Katie brings a no-holds-barred approach to life, love and her very own pink and black gym. Read on to find out about her pageant past, being a "bigger" trainer and how she deals with dating cavemen.
MY MISS FIT GYM: I was about 18 when realized I wanted to be a personal trainer and 23 when I wanted to open my own gym, so this has been in the works for seven or eight years. At so many gyms across the country, they don't know your name—you're just a number, a monthly withdrawal out of a bank account. I wanted to have a place where women feel comfortable and part of something bigger than just a gym.
BODY GONE BAD: I competed in pageants my whole life and ran the gamut of doing unhealthy things to my body. The turning point was when I was getting up at 5 a.m. and running five miles and then weighing all my food. I wasn't fun anymore. I was doing everything to my body that was wrong, like taking fat burners and working out for four hours a day. I finally said, Life is too short to be in the gym 24/7. I took time off from working out before I went full-fledged into opening my own place.
HOLLYWOOD GLAM IN THE GYM: I really love Marilyn Monroe's glamour and style. The decor of the gym is inspired by her whole look and that era. There was onepicture of her lifting weights in 1952 that Philippe Halsman took—it's one of my favorites. She was in jeans and a bathing-suit top doing pec flys, and I thought, This chick is cool. No one lifted weights back then like that! She was totally ahead of her time. Her whole glam feel is an inspiration to the gym, but not her as a person. I feel really bad for her, the way she lived and how she passed away.
REALISTICALLY HEALTHY: I don't starve myself, ever. I eat pretty healthy, like salads every day, fruit and lean protein. Ten years of my life was no food or alcohol, just water, so I'm at that point in life where I want to make up for lost time. I try to eat every three hours, but I love a dirty martini, red wine, cheese and bread. I grew up in a Portuguese household, so that's all we ate: carbs, cheese and butter. I try to work out every day, but there are weeks where I don't work out because I'm so busy. Then I'll go on a kick where I'll try to do it for a month.
MOMMY DEAREST: I used to get upset when my mother would meddle in my business, but now I just walk away from her for five minutes. When I come back, she's totally forgotten why she's mad or what she's asking me about that's none of her business. It's like redirecting a child. It can be very annoying, but I love my mom. Who can you trust with your business better than your family?
DARING TO DATE: I used to be a serial monogamist. I was so focused on my business, and it was just comfortable and easy to have a boyfriend. After I broke up with my last boyfriend, I took a good year off from dating and just focused on the gym and getting it to where it is now. In the middle of filming, I met Matt. He's really cool, an amazing, great guy. He's a businessman, so he gets where I'm coming from, and I need someone like that. I cannot go out with someone who doesn't own a business or work a lot because I work so much. The man never understands. It's a hormone thing: "I'm a caveman. I'm going to club you over the head." I'm like, I will take my pet Tyrannosaurus rex and he will eat you. Screw you, you'll never club me. [My best friends and coworkers] Monique, Monica and I are all wear-the-pants-in-the-family type of gals, so we need a guy who's very strong.
CROWNS AND CATFIGHTS: We were at a teen pageant being held at a mansion, and we all had our crowns on. One girl got in a fistfight with another girl, and they both rolled down a hill—full fashion and crown! Each of their traveling companions picked them up by the scruffs of the necks, and then the next day, you never saw one of the girls again! There was a new girl who took over her title in, like, 24 hours, and we're like, "What the frick is going on here?"
PAGEANTRY'S FACEBOOK: There's these things in the pageant world called message boards where people just rip girls apart, so I'm pretty used to getting dragged through the mud. Sometimes it definitely hurts, but the girls I hang out with and I are the total opposite of that. We don't let people bother us. There is this really dark side of pageantry, and we want to expose the side where it's not like that. Pageants really are amazing if you use them for what they're worth, not just to get a crown or to have people tell you that you're beautiful. All the coaching and public speaking helped me to be who I am today, and the fundraising and community aspects are near and dear to my heart.
TRAINING MY WAY: People will say, "She's a trainer, but she's a bigger girl," but I'm actually proud of that. The people who talk like that about me are the reason  women and men in this country have anorexia and bulimia. I don't starve myself, so if you want to call me a bigger girl, go for it. Until you are perfect, don't talk smack.
fashionsandmode.blogspot.com

Post a Comment